Mar 11, 2009

Mysore Mazaa(la)

I have been long waiting to blog about my holiday to Coorg/ Mysore in January. I've finally mangaged to get down to that

I was between jobs when I took this trip - that kind of took away the excitement of being away from work :)

Here's the Mysore half of the trip. The Coorg experience will follow in my next post.

Mysore - a clean and beautiful city that immediately charmed me. We spent a day and a half there but saw almost everything that Mysore personifies. Here are a few quickies on what I saw or did at Mysore:

The Mysore Zoo - This is the best zoo I have ever been to. It spreads over a vast area and is home to a whole lot of animal and bird species. I'm sure anyone would enjoy a trip to the Mysore zoo - irrespective of how old you are or how old you feel! The magnificent tall giraffes were our hot favourites. This was the first time I ever saw a giraffe for real - and not just one. There were four of them standing tall. I almost couldn't take our eyes off them :)

St. Philomena's Church - We made a quick trip to this church built in the honour of St. Philomena in the Diocese of Mysore. Brilliant architecture, beautiful stain glass interiors and a stoic silence inside the Church made the visit worth every minute spent there.

Brindavan Gardens - Sprawling gardens and the beautiful water fountains are simply soothing. Once it was dark the fountains glittered in various colours. The musical fountain was beatifully choreographed. It was a very relaxing experience at the garden. Superbly maintained.

Mysore Palace - Awesome interiors. Left me in complete envy :). I could almost imagine the Wodeyar clan walking around in the huge palace (effect of an overdose of Jodha Akbar maybe :P)

We saw other places like the beautiful Karanji Lake (including a pedal boat experience), the Chamundeshwari Temple, the magestic Nandi and the Cave Shiva temple on Chamundi Hills, and the Lalit Mahal Palace.

The other good part about Mysore were the yummy dosas. Never had such tasty crisp dosas before.

What impressed me most about the city was it's people. I found almost everyone around to be extremely courteous - including people like traffic policemen who are otherwise so rude and grumpy. Almost every one of them we interacted with were ready to help - with a smile on their face. Something that has gone amiss in our bigger faster cities.

I sure am going back to Mysore soon - for its people, clean wide roads and its yummy dosas :)

8 comments:

Prasita March 16, 2009 at 9:21 AM  

great goin Pri..good to see that you had a great time

nsiyer March 17, 2009 at 1:18 AM  

Nice comeback. Write more. In Mumbai at Matunga, you get one of the best Mysore Masala

priya March 22, 2009 at 6:44 PM  

@Prasita

Thanks for the comment. It was indeed a great trip.

priya March 22, 2009 at 6:45 PM  

@Iyer Sir

Thanks for the comment. I've tasted yummy South Indian delicacies in Matunga. Spent five years there during my times at Podar! I agree with you on that :)

I'm hoping to get more regular on blogs soon... its a tough thing to stay away from!

Namrata March 23, 2009 at 9:15 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Namrata March 23, 2009 at 9:17 PM  

Ok..this is great..looks like u are enjoying ur stay in Bangalore, exploring places around..
Been to Coorg for New Year '07 :) Nice place.. :) Saw Mysore when i was a kid! :) But they are both beautiful places..

At Coorg, we found this waterfall..Ounty Abbi..It was pretty remote, but it was absolutely uncrowded unlike the others..There was NO ONE there except our group and it was beeeautiful..Maybe u could check it out next time!

[One more thing..Infy does not allow u access to personal mail? U are lucky they allow u to access all kinds of blogs! :)]

Keep writing, i like reading the stuff u put up! :)

Unknown March 31, 2009 at 9:33 PM  

Mysore is a very charming city. Reading your blog brought me back my memories of visiting it during my school days.

priya April 12, 2009 at 12:17 AM  

@namrata

thanks for the comment... nice to hear about ur trip to the 2 places... i visited these places in jan... before joining infy... :)

i'm loving it at bangalore... brings bac a lot of pune times :)

infy mein net access hai... where i can access blogspot... no gmail/ orkut/ blogger etc... taken a net connection at home now... :)

time to make a couple of trips more now... its blog time now... big time :)


@vikram

glad my post took you down memory lane... i loved the simplicity at mysore... the people moved me the most... i dunno if i just happened to meet good people or if thats the general trend there anyways...

thanks for the comment...

Wanna Borrow a Book?

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Interesting Feeds

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP