Apr 27, 2009

The 2-minute Magic Spell

'Mummy bhook lagi hai' mumbled two little hungry kids... 'Bas do minute' said the mother... and quite rightly so in the midst of an exciting television ad jingle a yummy platter of noodles was ready in two minutes flat!!! Oh yes, I'm talking about everyone's favourite - Maggi Noodles!!!

If you're in your twenties or thirties and if you have not had Maggi... then you've probably just landed from some other planet. Maggi was and is my favourite kitchen rack item. It takes you just two minutes to decide to want to eat Maggi, then just about two minutes to get it ready and if you're really hungry... just another two minutes to slurp it down :)

Amit's ode to this favourite snack of mine prompted me to write this post. Apparently Maggi completes 25 years this year... 25 years of filling hungry tummies in the quickest possible time! It sure is quite something. I'm quite impressed by the different variations that the Maggi family has tried to offer over the years... somehow though the original Maggi Masala will always remain my favourite.

As kids, my sisters and me were even part of the Maggi Club. We used to get these fancy Maggi memorabilia, Maggi Club pin-up badges, loads of mailers from the Maggi Club etc. The mailers would be something that we waited for longingly... who else would be kind enough to mark letters to some less-than-10-year olds :) Maggi did!!! It connected with us right then... and the bond continues to last right through... up to now and am sure for a long way down the future. It is almost as if the 2-minute magic has cast a spell to last us a lifetime :)




12 comments:

Namrata April 30, 2009 at 3:42 PM  

Hey!! My favourite toooo!! I LOVED maggi and for a long time i sincerely believed that the maggi company (Nestle, right) made profits only because of me!! :D I loved it as a child and me and my bro have memories associated with the product. On some rare saturdays we'd sit together with yummmmmy maggi and watch tom and jerry in the afternoon! :D
My mggi ingestion was in limits then. But when i went to hostel, there were times when i remember, maggi would be a saviour for a grumbling tummy. But i also realized it is definitely not good for health! So, i have cut down on it, but i still love it!! :D

Sruthisagar Yamunan May 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM  

Its hard to live a life without maagi :D

priya May 4, 2009 at 9:29 PM  

@Namrata

Thanks for the comment and for sharing your Maggi moments :)

Maggi and Tom n Jerry would sure make for a heavenly combination. I love them both :)

About the health bit, try the Veg Atta flavor... its wheat not maida... it pops up on my dinner plate atleast once a week nowadays :P

priya May 4, 2009 at 9:30 PM  

@Twisted Elegance

You're totally right. Thanks for leaving your comment.

Bhavik and Minal May 5, 2009 at 7:59 PM  

Its my favorite too. We don't visit Indian Grocery store frequently, but whenever we visit, we get maggi packets in bulk,that last at least for 15 days. This time we purchase about 12 maggi packets and store owner knew us, so he ask Bhavik "is Minal going out of station" and he said "no no and smile" I was embarrassed too and felt that uncle might be thinking Minal does not know cooking and Bhavik eats maggi all time. But that is not true Maggi is like our 4th meal and we love it. And we have one rack in our kitchen which is for Maggi.

priya May 5, 2009 at 9:27 PM  

@Minal

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comment.

Maggi simply seems to be everyone's favourite. And I strongly believe it's genuinely yummy even though people believe its a quick to cook dish.

The storekeepers reaction was hilarious :)

Happy Maggi Munching :)

Tamanna Ahuja May 8, 2009 at 10:16 PM  

I also have my maggie moments.My friend says he makes it in a different way.He never tells me what different he does.He doesnt let me in the kitchen when he is preparing it.I cant make out the difference.But I want to know what different he does.
Let's see if one day I can know his secret.

priya May 8, 2009 at 10:40 PM  

@tamanna

thanx for leaving ur comment and sharing ur maggi moments with me...

if u ever find out that secret don't forget to share it with me... maggi in all variations tastes yummmm!!!

tried the maggie with potata wafers combination?? tastes really good once the wafers get soggy :)

Kush May 15, 2009 at 10:24 PM  

Maggi club! Never heard of that one before! Nice to have met a top Maggi fan!

Namrata May 21, 2009 at 9:45 PM  

@tamanna

I think I know what your friend's maggi-making secret is! Maybe he adds a very tiny pinch of salt in it..I really think Maggi tastes better whenever i do that..Try it! :)
(But please make sure you add only a tiny pinch!)

nsiyer May 23, 2009 at 4:22 PM  

Interesting Priya! Where are you? Not to be seen

priya May 24, 2009 at 1:23 AM  

@Rhett

Thanks for dropping by yet again... oh the Magi Club was succhhh good fun... we had these MAggi Club badges that they had sent and all kinds of fliers and little kiddie games that would come by post... used to be real good fun...

@NAP

Will try the extra pinch of salt idea the next time I'm making myself Maggi :)

@Iyer Sir

Thanks for the comment. I'm yet to read and comment on a couple of your recent posts. Not been online enough last couple of weeks.

Wanna Borrow a Book?

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Interesting Feeds

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP