Jan 19, 2009

Hope is a Good Thing

After months of having got myself a copy of the movie The Shawshank Redemption I finally decided to watch it yesterday.

The movie is based on a Stephen King novella [new word I picked up when I wiki-ed for the book :)] called Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption.

Tim Robbins plays the role of a banker called Andy Dufresne who is given a double life sentence for murdering his wife and her lover - a crime that he badly wanted to commit but had not. As fate would have it he was sent to Shawshank Prison where he spent the next 19 years of his life!!!

Morgan Freeman plays the role of 'Red' who was another inmate at Shawshank Prison. Freeman sure has a class of his own. After this movie and The Bucket List he has one more fan in me :)

The movie is hard-hitting with a whole lot of dialogues that leave you dumbstruck. It is yet another visualization of how harsh things can get on the other side of the bars. It is yet another attempt to convey that there is nothing more powerful than hope. It is yet another attempt to reinforce the fact that no matter how mean life can get, it is that undying spirit of hope that will help us sail through and come out smiling despite the hardships that we will eventually leave behind.

I am glad the movie has influenced me positively. I only feel more positive about clinging on to my hopes, however irrational they may seem at the moment!!!

I decided I should put up a post about this on Bindaas Baatein. There's nothing more satisfying than spreading one's positivity around - who knows, this might just make you want to change your mind over things you have given up on.

I'll sum this up in Andy Dufresne's words from the movie - 'Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies'.

6 comments:

Unknown January 20, 2009 at 1:01 PM  

yes , i agree with you ...... there are learnings from this movie....watched it twice in fact ....... probably a first for me...

priya January 20, 2009 at 4:36 PM  

@rajiv

thanx for the comment. you're right about the movie.

nsiyer January 20, 2009 at 11:16 PM  

Priya, you should read this book'Man's search for meaning'.Prison bars can never come in the way of what your spirit wishes and hopes.This book is a must read.

priya January 21, 2009 at 7:54 AM  

@Iyer Sir

Thanks for the comment :)

I'll get hold of that book soon.

akd February 8, 2009 at 11:05 PM  

Shawshank Redemption is one of my all time favorite movie. The dialogs are touchy and the so is the story.

Hope is really good thing...it can make things possible, drive ur determination and finally ur hope will be the reality.

If u like, visit my blog...
http://asitinblogzone.blogspot.com/

priya February 9, 2009 at 3:53 PM  

@asit

thanks for dropping by and the comment too.

the movie is too good... with a lesson for all of us.

will check ur blog as soon as i can... keep writing!

Wanna Borrow a Book?

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Interesting Feeds

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP