Jan 7, 2009

Movie Time...

'List out your New Year Resolutions'... I have been telling myself to sit down and work this out for the last week or so. But somehow I have not managed to get myself to do it yet. Ordinary people find it difficult to live by their resolutions. Some like me find it tough to even sit down and get those resolutions on paper (make that blogger :P)! I wanted to do it over the weekend but I ended up watching two movies back to back.



Ghajini was the first. I loved it! Aamir is at his perfect best. Asin did a good job too. I was only left wondering why the movie was named after the villian... and why Ghajini! Also Aamir's character was supposed to be some super popular business tycoon. How come no one recognized him then when he played Sachin!!! Oops sorry... when it's movies... you're not supposed to 'think' and ask! That apart it was a fine movie. I've decided to watch the original Tamil version now. I love watching sequels, prequels, originals, 'inspired from' movies and then play 'spot the differences and similarities' :P



Alright then... next on the list was the recent Tamil hit Vaaranam Aayiram. I could not get beyond the interval. No no no... don't frame opinions about the movie! I could not get beyond the interval coz my PC went for a toss around that time. Oh by the way did I tell you... one of the resolutions I'm contemplating is to stop watching DVD rip offs? Oh by the way again, did I tell you... I was contemplating that for my list of resolutions for the year 2045?? :P



Alright, coming back to the first half of Vaaranam Aayiram... it's an awesome movie! Yes, even though I watched only part of it for me it seemed like a perfect complete movie. And I must tell you that my review is not biased by the first half alone... the 'I hate suspense' keeda in me made sure I find out what happens in the second half :P.



The casting and execution was brilliant. Sameera Reddy had the perfect combination of oomph and girlish innocence. Surya and Simran played their roles beautifully! Surya stole the show in all the three roles that he portrayed. The school boy look and the old man look were well crafted. About the awesome hero look that had me floored... I think it just comes naturally to the guy! :-)



The movie's a little emotional. It hurts when Sameera dies in the blast and Surya's left heartbroken. Apparently he gets over it in the second half... drugs, realization, an army stint and a poem that his mum recites... come to his rescue!!! Somehow made me think that every real life love story that's not meant to work out should end that way. A blast or an accident or something fatal would make it a lot easier for the lady. For the brave macho gentlemen... life will somehow move on!!! (Thank God we don't have a Aadmi Mukti Aandolan trend around :P)



If I have to wrap up this review... I'd just say that it's a must watch for the 'romantically challenged' :P

8 comments:

Ganesh January 7, 2009 at 2:17 PM  

Dear Priya,

Vaaranam Aayiram was a good movie, except it is a bit too long. It could have done with some more chopping on the editors board. Surya is good as are Sameera and Simran.

Ghajini I did not watch as I have seen the tamil original and though Aamir seems to have improved on the original there is no point in watching it a second time around.

priya January 7, 2009 at 6:04 PM  

@Ganesh

Thanks for dropping by and the comment too.

Guess you're right about the movie being lengthy. Maybe that's how the pre-interval part itself seemed like a complete movie to me :)

About Ghajini... check out the Hindi version... and spot the differences... its gud fun :P

Anonymous,  January 9, 2009 at 7:41 PM  

Good one.Felt ghajini was very violent.Jiah khan was way better than nayan though.

Thought varanam aayiram won't appeal for girls as it is more of father-son bonding Varanam aayiram proved surya is one of the most hard working actors in indian filmdom. About brave men moving on in life.How about story of so many devdasses :D,don't most real life stories end like that!!.

~~Ran-jit

priya January 9, 2009 at 9:09 PM  

@Ran-jit

Thanks for leaving your comment.

Yeah, Jiah Khan was good. I'm yet to catch up with the Tamil version.

Oh I liked Vaaranam Aayiram quite a bit. Could pretty much appreciate the father-son bonding there.

Surya maybe the most hard-working... but he's definitely one of the best looking guys around as well.

About the so many devdas' around... i'd still say that the devdas approach is just one of the many ways that brave macho gentlemen choose to 'somehow' move on!!!

nsiyer January 12, 2009 at 11:53 PM  

riya, I have yet to se both. However, Iliked your passing comments on romance and its impact. Hmmmmm.....

priya January 13, 2009 at 11:35 AM  

@Iyer Sir

Thanks for dropping by.

Vaaranam Aayiram is a nice movie (managed to catch up with the second half too)... the parent-child bonding... particularly the father-son bonding comes across well.

About the passing comment... I'd only say that a sharp reader is one who takes note of something that appears to be a passing comment :)

Sameer Shaikh January 13, 2009 at 8:20 PM  

I liked Ghajini.... though it seemed to be a bit very aggressive and violent I somehow felt that the whole of movie had a tollywood flavour.. I wondered if Mukesh Hrishi would have been a better cast for Ghajini and the thrill was taken a lot more in Aamir's quest... anyways a good movie overall... never saw the southern version so this ones good ;)

Regards
Sameer
http://pm-better-than-sex.blogspot.com

priya January 13, 2009 at 9:47 PM  

@Sameer - thanx for dropping by n leaving a comment too :)

Wanna Borrow a Book?

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Interesting Feeds

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP